Monday, 27 August 2012

Margaret River Getaway!

This is probably going to be a MASSIVE post. But, I haven't posted in a week, so really, it just makes up for all those missed posts!! Jesse and I skipped town for a few days last week. We headed down to Margaret River. We hadn't actually spent an entire day together since we've been together due to our work schedules, so it was a welcome little break. 

We left Monday morning, while listening to my brothers, mulder, on the radio, and made it to our little chalet about 2pm. 

Cute little reception hutch. You just open it to find out what Chalet you're in!

We stayed at Harmony Forest, which was just lovely. The chalets are all totally secluded, we didn't see or hear anyone else the whole time we were there!! After we had arrived and unpacked, we headed into town to get some food. We wanted to eat at Wino's, but they are closed for a month (!! who does that??) so we ended up at Must. After a drink at the bug wall, we moved into the dining room for some food. Jesse had the steak and I had the ribs. They were nice, but in my opinion, could have been cooked for another few hours. The fat wasn't quite melt in your mouth rended yet, and the meat wasn't quite fall off the bone. The ribs came with a corn polenta mix thing, and corn bread. For dessert, I had to have the Crème brûlée . It was a cinnamon custard, which was nice, but there were bananas on top of the custard, under the sugar, so there wasn't the satisfying crack you get with a proper  Crème brûlée. It was still lovely though. Jesse won the dish of the trip with his Apple tarte tatin though. Man was it good. And the apple crisps, it was like fresh tart apple, but coated in this crisp sugar. yum! Champagne, in the spa, which looks out into the forest was the best way to end the night.

Bug wall at Must

Best. Dish. Ever.

We were up and out early on Tuesday morning. We stopped in at Margaret River Bakery for some breakfast. it was a lovely little bakery, and everything looked just amazing. We enjoyed our coffees and croissants. We headed to Providor, where the passionfruit curd was the bomb. I wish I'd bought some. Then on to Gabrielle chocolatier for some amazing chocolate (seriously, the milk chocolate had all the flavour of proper dark chocolate, but the creaminess of milk chocolate). Then we headed to Happs to catch up with a wine maker friend of Jesses. It was a really lovely way to spend a morning. But, then we were both hungry again, so we stopped in at Cheeky Monkey for some beer and pizza. 

Tasting Plate at Cheeky Monkey

Potato & Chorizo Bombs

We shared a House Monkey pizza (Confit garlic, olive oil, Parmesan & salt), potato & Chorizo bombs, and a beer tasting plate. Then we swung by the venison farm for venison chorizo and salt water taffy. 

Then on to Mammoth cave for a walk through the cave and up the cliff. I love caves, and Jesse had NEVER BEEN TO A CAVE!!! It was really lovely, although my calves were aching the next day! 

We went in to town again for dinner, we hit up Settlers Tavern. Jesse knows the owner, and it was the most welcoming, warming experience ever. She set us up with a table near the fire, and a glass each of her husbands brewed beer. Jesse ordered fish, and I had the burger royale, and it was AMAZING. Soooo much better than the meal we had at Must the night before. Then Karen came and sat with us, and we tasted a few different wines. She talked me into the coffee and chocolate brownie. By then I was nearly in a food coma, and we headed home to rest. 

Wednesday we didn't really know what to do, seeing as we did almost everything the day before! We headed in to Coworamup to go to Candy Cow and to have some breakfast. Then we went to Hay Shed Hill for some tastings, and lunch. We ordered Cured meat plate and 2 cheeses (Marcel Petit Compte Gruyere & Brie Nangis, of course!). 

We had a leisurely lunch, then we headed to Colonial for a beer. 

We decided to head home and spend the afternoon relaxing, and on the drive, we decided to stay in for the rest of the night and stopped to get provisions for dinner. We had another spa, spent the afternoon reading, ate some dinner, watched a movie, and read in bed for a few hours. It was bliss!

Calvados, complete with heart shaped ice

We both woke up early Thursday, and we hit the road. It was a really lovely few days away, but it's always nice to be home. We missed the bunny and the kitty...well I did anyway! Not that they missed us. It seems that the gorgeous Alex and Elena did such a great job looking after them, they didn't even know we were gone!

So, that's why the blog was quiet last week. I'll be back this week, and it will be like I never left!

No comments:

Post a Comment